Is hemp seed oil good for your hair?
If you’ve heard of people using hemp oil or CBD oil for hair loss or recovery then you may be wondering whether it works, and if so, how?
The unfortunate truth is that many of us will experience the loss of confidence, or embarrassment, that badly damaged or thinning hair can cause, at some point in our lives.
In this article we take a closer look at the nutrients found in hemp seed oil and some of the claims made for the benefits of hemp seed oil for hair, as well as how to use hemp seed oil for hair loss and recovery, revealing the magic of this all-natural remedy.
The Magic of Hemp Seed Oil
So, why do people turn to hemp oil for hair health so often?
One of the most notable highlights of the oil is the unusually high concentration of essential fatty acids (EFA’s), Omega-3 and Omega-6.
Your body is unable to synthesize EFA’s by itself and fatty acids are vital in bodily functions at a molecular level, including the formation of cell membranes.
Hemp seed oil contains these EFA’s, in the optimum ratio of 3:1, needed by your body for long-term healthy nutrition.
Hemp seed oil is also a decent source of antioxidants such as vitamin E and carotene, and an excellent source of protein, containing all known protein types including the nine essential amino acids which are literally the building blocks of your body.
That’s why hemp and CBD is so good on a daily basis!
Hemp Oil Uses for Hair
After looking at the composition of hemp seed oil it’s easier to identify the potential hemp oil benefits for hair. The properties of hemp seed oil, combined with anecdotal evidence, provides solid reasoning for using hemp oil for hair growth and recovery.
Some of the most convincing arguments state that hemp oil:
- Stimulates Hair Growth – Essential fatty acids found in hemp oil are essential for new and healthy hair growth, supplying nourishment to the hair follicles. Hemp oil can also potentially stimulate blood circulation on the scalp to stimulate hair growth.
- Moisturizes the Scalp and Hair – Hemp oil can prevent water loss and inject moisture into the scalp and hair. Vitamin E, found in hemp oil, is a fantastic conditioning agent and the concentration of lipids can also help increase elasticity.
- Strengthens Hair to Prevent Breakages – The extra proteins found in hemp oil could support keratin formation during the growth stages of your hair, ensuring that it grows stronger, thicker, and healthier.
Evidence Supporting the Benefits of CBD Oil for Hair Loss
If you search online for hemp seed oil for hair growth reviews, you’ll find a wealth of anecdotal evidence supporting the benefits of hemp seed oil for skin and hair.
We dug a little deeper however…
And we found an interesting study that appears to support the claims scientifically too.
Results from a study of 120 healthy female subjects was published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology in 2015. The subjects were placed on a six-month supplement program of Omega-3, Omega-6, and antioxidants (all of which are found in hemp seed oil), and at the end of the trial, hair thickness was measured.
The results were significant and showed real potential in using hemp seed oil for hair regrowth.
In the group that took supplements the results were as follows:
- Standardized photograph assessment demonstrated superior improvement
- Trichogram measurement found that the proportion of growing hair had increased when compared to the controlled group
- A trichometer index showed that hair diameter and density had increased in the supplemented group and decreased in the controlled group
- The subjects’ self-assessments reported a reduction in hair loss (89.9%), improvement in hair diameter (86.1%), and improvement in hair density (87.3%)
How to Use Pure Hemp Seed Oil for Hair
The easiest ways to make use of hemp seed oil for hair health include either adding it to diet or applying it topically.
However, many nutritionists believe that ingesting hemp seed oil offers the greatest benefits in the long run. It also has zero side effects 99% of the time.
Even so, if you choose to apply the oil topically then you can rub it directly into your scalp to help soothe irritated skin and replace lost moisture. You can also apply a very gentle heat with a hairdryer and work it down to the tips of your hair to help repair damage from coloring and styling.
Potentially greater benefits of hemp seed oil for natural hair will be achieved by wrapping a towel around your hair and leaving the oil on overnight before washing it off.
CBD Oil For Hair Products Isn’t A New Thing
The cosmetic industry has been using hemp seed oil for skin and hair for many years and when you take a closer look at the composition of the oil, it’s easy to see why.
Hemp seed oil benefits for hair appear to start from the inside out and if you want to use hemp oil for hair loss then you will most likely benefit from notable improvements within six months.
Anyone who enjoys using homemade products may wonder if it’s possible to learn how to make hemp seed oil for hair at home.
Unfortunately, homemade solutions aren’t really feasible. The process of extracting hemp seed oil requires heavy machinery and large quantities of hemp seeds.
The best way of getting your hands on quality hemp seed oil is to buy from a dependable source, in-store or online.